Begin the commissioning process early during the design process and execute additional activities after systems performance verification is completed.
Prior to start of construction documents phase, designate an independent Commissioning Authority (CxA) to lead, review, and oversee the completion of all commissioning process activities. The CxA shall, at a minimum, perform Tasks 2, 3 and 6. Other team members may perform Tasks 4 and 5.
a) The CxA shall have documented commissioning authority experience in at least two building projects.
b) The individual serving as the CxA shall be:
i. independent of the work of design and construction;
ii. not an employee of the design firm, though they may be contracted through them;
iii. not an employee of, or contracted through, a contractor, or construction manager holding construction contracts;
iv. (can be) a qualified employee or consultant of the Owner.
- The CxA shall conduct, at a minimum, one commissioning design review of the Owner’s Project Requirements (OPR),Basis of Design (BOD), and design documents prior to mid-construction documents phase and back-check review comments in the subsequent design submission.
- The CxA shall review contractor submittals applicable to systems being commissioned for compliance with the OPR and BOD. This review shall be concurrent with A/E reviews and submitted to the design team and the Owner.
- Develop a systems manual that provides future operating staff the information needed to understand and optimally operate the commissioned systems.
- Verify that the requirements for training operating personnel and building occupants are completed.
- Assure the involvement by the CxA in reviewing building operation within 10 months after substantial completion with O&M staff and occupants. Include a plan for resolution of outstanding commissioning-related issues.